Very interesting (EA related)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Very interesting (EA related)

Post by ScoopBrady »

I was browsing EB Games online and noticed that 3 upcoming EA titles are coming out at $39.99. Medal of Honor:European Assault, Batman Begins, and Nascar 2006:Chase for the Cup are all listed at $39.99.

I'd be very curious if this has to do with Sega's success with their $19.99 price tag or if this has to do more with the negativity surrounding the NFL license.

What's your thoughts?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Batman Begins at $39.99 has to be a hidden apology from EA for making Catwoman. :)

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Very interesting (EA related)

Post by Inuyasha »

ScoopBrady wrote:I was browsing EB Games online and noticed that 3 upcoming EA titles are coming out at $39.99. Medal of Honor:European Assault, Batman Begins, and Nascar 2006:Chase for the Cup are all listed at $39.99.

I'd be very curious if this has to do with Sega's success with their $19.99 price tag or if this has to do more with the negativity surrounding the NFL license.

What's your thoughts?
Maybe their softening(sp?) everyone up for the Madden $70 price tag? Or they found that at $39.99, they sell more of their 2nd tier games.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, personally I think it's a smart move. Based on the now (Locked) thread (thanks to the same people that have the EGO of King Kong), both MLB & MVP for the PSP have their strong & weak points. But if I am new in the game industry and I am looking at a baseball game where both are mediocre, I'll go to the next thinking point which is the pricing. Of course, we have people that don't mind paying the extra $10 that EA usually charges, but with this move, EA may get back more gamers on their side, specially with some of their recent mediocre releases: Bond series, NHL, MVP & Underground for the PSP, Nascar etc.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Weaver2005 wrote: Maybe their softening(sp?) everyone up for the Madden $70 price tag?
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245117.asp

Unless you are refering to NextGen Madden, Of course I still haven't seen console prices yet, nevermind game prices, but don't let that stop you guys from hitting that old panic button again.

Seriously isn't it a little early to be starting this crap? Can't we wait until NCAA is released before unleashing the Dogs of War.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Danimal wrote:
Weaver2005 wrote: Maybe their softening(sp?) everyone up for the Madden $70 price tag?
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245117.asp

Unless you are refering to NextGen Madden, Of course I still haven't seen console prices yet, nevermind game prices, but don't let that stop you guys from hitting that old panic button again.

Seriously isn't it a little early to be starting this crap? Can't we wait until NCAA is released before unleashing the Dogs of War.

Well to be fair EB and Gamestop are simply listing the games and an estimated price (which is why they state the ability to change the price at any time) simply to get preorders. Until EA releases a price or until the game ships take (this-gens) current price listing with a grain of salt.

I don't think Weaver is unleashing anything? I have given plenty of quotes from game analysts/financial companies in my NPD threads that feel the price of ALL pro football games would be going up. Sure it is all speculation but when they start speculating you can bet something leaked from someone at EA about the possibility.
Seriously isn't it a little early to be starting this crap?
One mans crap is another mans discussion. You can always avoid any anti-EA sentiment or speculation.

b_assassin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by b_assassin »

I think the lower game prices are somewhat expected when consoles are nearing the end of their lifecycle. Besides, EA doesn't want you to waste all your money on current gen games when they want you to fork out $60+ for next gen launch titles (speculation, of course).

I think the $20 price tag on the 2k games is a bit of motivation, although I don't expect Take 2 to carry the budget price tag into the next gen.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I think the lower game prices are somewhat expected when consoles are nearing the end of their lifecycle. Besides, EA doesn't want you to waste all your money on current gen games when they want you to fork out $60+ for next gen launch titles (speculation, of course).

Hmmm, maybe there's some truth to the beginning of the lower prices as the PS2 has another year left, but I doubt EA could care less how much you can save now for the next GEN games based on their mediocre yet higher prices than the competitor.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Dvdplanet has the price of both NCAA Football 2006 and Madden 2006 listed as $34.97, nowhere on there to preorder them though.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

b_assassin wrote:I think the lower game prices are somewhat expected when consoles are nearing the end of their lifecycle.
Yeah, I thought about that but then I realized that EA didn't lower their PS1 games until after the PS2 released. And even then it was to $39.99 when everyone else was dropping to $19.99-$29.99.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

bdoughty wrote:Well to be fair EB and Gamestop are simply listing the games and an estimated price (which is why they state the ability to change the price at any time) simply to get preorders. Until EA releases a price or until the game ships take (this-gens) current price listing with a grain of salt.

I don't think Weaver is unleashing anything? I have given plenty of quotes from game analysts/financial companies in my NPD threads that feel the price of ALL pro football games would be going up. Sure it is all speculation but when they start speculating you can bet something leaked from someone at EA about the possibility.
Well I have never seen a game listed at $49.99 and then go up to $69.99. If it does i will be the first online here to say I was wrong and EA sucks, I'm not paying 70 or 80 dollars for a game ever.

Also wasn't singling out Weaver, seems to be a lot of anti-EA stuff lately. There are just some great games out now and new consoles to talk about and every thread here is ending up as an EA sucks thread. Just an observation is all.
One mans crap is another mans discussion. You can always avoid any anti-EA sentiment or speculation.
Very true, and believe me I have been avoding the anit-EA threads, what is this my 3rd post in any of them, give me some credit I am getting better.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Personally, I think that if a Company decides to charge a $10-20 dollars more than its competitor for a product that claims has this or that, or it's better because it has this and that, then it better damn make sure it backs up it's claim. But if you charge more for a product that's just mediocre lately then, the consumer is not stupid and will have a second opinion.

It's not no much people being anti EA ,but more hey if you're charging more than the rest why can't you make the game a worthy one.