MVP (PSP) Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Wonder when EA's MLB rights expire? Any chance of an MVP Baseball: World Series Edition or anything like that?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Badgun wrote:
Leebo33 wrote:I was disappointed in the load times with Tiger, but I thought the gameplay was good.

I'm enjoying FIFA despite the hiccups.

However, I'm not really getting any enjoyment out of MVP PSP and it will be sold within the week. The controls and framerate are just too sluggish and the gameplay is subpar as well. I really didn't mind that EA was charging $50 as much as some because I thought I was going to get a port of MVP 2005. This port of 2004 actually makes me feel cheated. I've rarely felt absolutely cheated by a videogame purchase, but EA has managed to do it. There have been games that I haven't enjoyed, but I feel EA pulled a bait and switch and that is worse IMO. Not only does the game suck, but the f*cking thing has frozen twice on me.

I thought Sony wasn't allowing strictly ports of PS2 games? What bullsh*t. EA is not only porting PS2 games, but they are porting 15 month old games (Tiger Woods is a port of an older game too).

Kudos to 989 for MLB PSP. I may not like everything about the game, but they did an impressive job compared to their pathetic competition.
If you noticed, EA dropped the year after both games title for the PSP. I'm guessing so they could answer any charges of bait and switch by saying "we never said it was the newest version".

Hence Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 became Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf and MVP Baseball 2004 became just MVP Baseball. If anyone ever called them on it, they can simply say "Do you see a 2005 in the title anywhere?"

Pretty fu*king lame. What's worse is they even used the box art of MVP 2005 despite the fact that it was MVP 2004.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder what the push back in release was for? I'm keeping MVP though, yes there are some issues, but I liked 2004 except for the lefty glitch.. and that's fixed in the psp version. There is no excuse for the old rosters and frigginn $50 price tag though. That alone should have me taking this game back, but I'm already an idiot for selling my Xbox.

I truly hope the psp has some second generation games coming out for it over the next year - it's just odd that there's not much going on for the psp and E3.

Todd

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Dave wrote:Wonder when EA's MLB rights expire? Any chance of an MVP Baseball: World Series Edition or anything like that?
New! MVP Baseball: World Series Edition*

*Rosters current as of spring training

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

MizzouRah wrote:
Badgun wrote:
Leebo33 wrote:I was disappointed in the load times with Tiger, but I thought the gameplay was good.

I'm enjoying FIFA despite the hiccups.

However, I'm not really getting any enjoyment out of MVP PSP and it will be sold within the week. The controls and framerate are just too sluggish and the gameplay is subpar as well. I really didn't mind that EA was charging $50 as much as some because I thought I was going to get a port of MVP 2005. This port of 2004 actually makes me feel cheated. I've rarely felt absolutely cheated by a videogame purchase, but EA has managed to do it. There have been games that I haven't enjoyed, but I feel EA pulled a bait and switch and that is worse IMO. Not only does the game suck, but the f*cking thing has frozen twice on me.

I thought Sony wasn't allowing strictly ports of PS2 games? What bullsh*t. EA is not only porting PS2 games, but they are porting 15 month old games (Tiger Woods is a port of an older game too).

Kudos to 989 for MLB PSP. I may not like everything about the game, but they did an impressive job compared to their pathetic competition.
If you noticed, EA dropped the year after both games title for the PSP. I'm guessing so they could answer any charges of bait and switch by saying "we never said it was the newest version".

Hence Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 became Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf and MVP Baseball 2004 became just MVP Baseball. If anyone ever called them on it, they can simply say "Do you see a 2005 in the title anywhere?"

Pretty fu*king lame. What's worse is they even used the box art of MVP 2005 despite the fact that it was MVP 2004.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder what the push back in release was for? I'm keeping MVP though, yes there are some issues, but I liked 2004 except for the lefty glitch.. and that's fixed in the psp version. There is no excuse for the old rosters and frigginn $50 price tag though. That alone should have me taking this game back, but I'm already an idiot for selling my Xbox.

I truly hope the psp has some second generation games coming out for it over the next year - it's just odd that there's not much going on for the psp and E3.

Todd
You know I absolutely loved MVP 2004 even with no player fatique, lefty bug, and the player progression problem. Even with all those problems, I still played 140 games into a season and had a blast.

I just can't believe that EA's taking old games and making people think they are new on the PSP.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

You know I absolutely loved MVP 2004 even with no player fatique, lefty bug, and the player progression problem. Even with all those problems, I still played 140 games into a season and had a blast.

I just can't believe that EA's taking old games and making people think they are new on the PSP.
The thing that bugged me about MVP 2004 was the little variety of hits and the way the fielders would slowly run to catch the ball.. only to speed up at the very last second.

The high strikezone is still there, along with the goofy pitcher sometimes not making it to first to get the runner out and there is some framerate issues now and then, BUT so far, it hasn't hurt the game play for me. I absolutely love how the game is a challenge on PRO with default sliders. I've played a dozen games now and pitching is so much fun with the way the psp analog stick is a tad touchy. I grooved two pitches to Dimitri Young and he blasted them both just about out of the ball park. I was trying to keep the ball away from him and even though you can nail the meter, pitching from the 4 view, mistakes are easy to make.

This is what 2004 should have been, minus the tad bit of slowdowns.. The biggest thing for me is game scores, runs & hits.. and so far I've had a wide variety. Most are 10 hits a piece 4-8 runs, which with 2005 most of my games were lower scoring. I also don't strikeout near as much as I did in MLB, so for me, it's more fun.

Anyhow, at least we have portable baseball, whichever game it may be.

Todd

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wow...I cannot believe how bad MVP is. I got my gamefly copy today...played about 4 games and HAD to send that crap back. Nice framerate...nice year old engine...nice muddy look. Thanks, I'll stick with MLB which is light years ahead of MVP on the PSP.

It's kind of too bad, because MVP is THAT much better than MLB on the consoles...I guess it's a good thing that I won't be playing the same game on the PSP as I would on my console. Thanks EA...you made it easy!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I wonder where are those "Pro EA" people that were so sure they would kick ass, more specifically Sony's MLB?

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

OK, I'll bite.

I don't get it? I've got MVP and have played MLB extensively; given the choice, I'd play MVP over MLB.

MLB is prettier, no question, but MVP plays the better game.

In MLB I was consistently feeling cheated by passed balls (a rampant problem even with tuning) and an apparent 'catch-up logic' that gave the AI the HR just when they needed it, even if I didn't make a mistake. There was very little variety in the hits, and the baserunning and other controls weren't as intuitive as they should have been.

MVP, on the other hand, has an insane variety of hits, smooth controls, and better presentation. Sure, the players are comparitively low-poly, but you get faces and 'personality'. The pitching meter is smoother and works better, as does the batting system.

What's missing from the universally praised Xbox version? hitter's eye? Would've been useless on a small screen and I can pick up curves etc. just fine with the PSP's default camera.

Sure, there is a stutter between batters etc. but it doesn't get in the way of gameplay.

All in all, the game feels like a portable port of the MVP we know and love, and isn't deserving of the bashing it's taking, even if it could've used another layer of polish.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Sport73 wrote:OK, I'll bite.

I don't get it? I've got MVP and have played MLB extensively; given the choice, I'd play MVP over MLB.

MLB is prettier, no question, but MVP plays the better game.

In MLB I was consistently feeling cheated by passed balls (a rampant problem even with tuning) and an apparent 'catch-up logic' that gave the AI the HR just when they needed it, even if I didn't make a mistake. There was very little variety in the hits, and the baserunning and other controls weren't as intuitive as they should have been.

MVP, on the other hand, has an insane variety of hits, smooth controls, and better presentation. Sure, the players are comparitively low-poly, but you get faces and 'personality'. The pitching meter is smoother and works better, as does the batting system.

What's missing from the universally praised Xbox version? hitter's eye? Would've been useless on a small screen and I can pick up curves etc. just fine with the PSP's default camera.

Sure, there is a stutter between batters etc. but it doesn't get in the way of gameplay.

All in all, the game feels like a portable port of the MVP we know and love, and isn't deserving of the bashing it's taking, even if it could've used another layer of polish.
I'm in total agreement. Even with a 2004 port, it's much more fun to play than MLB.

Todd

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote:I wonder where are those "Pro EA" people that were so sure they would kick ass, more specifically Sony's MLB?
Raises hand. It doesn't kick MLB's ass, but I like it better.

Todd

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Sport73 wrote:What's missing from the universally praised Xbox version?
1. Numerous sliders that would enhance realism and add depth, such as CPU ball rate, pitch meter difficulty, and foul balls.

2. The quick menu. Why do I need 5 or 6 button presses just to change a pitcher? Why can't I see what types of pitches the opponent pitcher throws?

3. The ability to move in the batter's box.

4. The most realistic strike zone in vidoe game baseball IMO. The 2004 strike zone is too high and long.

5. Variable Umpires and "blown calls."

6. Unless I'm missing something, can you not warm up a pitcher when you are batting? This is a major ommission if true. I can't figure out how to do it. Please help!

7. Playable minor leagues. OK, I can understand if there is no franchise, but why couldn't they have included the minor league rosters and a few stadiums?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The biggest reason MVP on the PSP is terribly compared to the Xbox version...

Seriously sluggish and sloppy controls. The Xbox version is freakin' awesome...the PSP version is terrible. I HATED 2004 and I love 2005...I just do not understand why they felt it was necessary to take a step back on the PSP.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Sport73 wrote:MVP, on the other hand, has an insane variety of hits, smooth controls, and better presentation. Sure, the players are comparitively low-poly, but you get faces and 'personality'. The pitching meter is smoother and works better, as does the batting system.
I've been trying to get my money's worth out of MVP, despite my initial disappointment, and a couple things have really helped me this morning:

1. Switching to the aerial view for fielding makes the game smoother and fielding a lot easier IMO.
2. I turned the pitch speed down to -50.

I'm not *that* displeased with the gameplay. I guess my disappointment is mainly related to:

1. The fact that I was expecting a port of MVP 2005. I don't recall anyone from EA ever saying that it was a port of 2005, but when you put "A WHOLE NEW BALLGAME" on the back of the box and you make the cover look like 2005 then I expect more.

2. The rosters from January.

3. The fact that this is the only MVP game on PSP and I wanted them to take their time and do it right.

4. I'm up to 4 freezes. All have occurred when the CPU makes a substitution and I get the message "Substitution Complete." If nobody else is getting freezes, I may return my copy for a new one.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I don't want my question to get lost in my post above because it is a major one:

How do you warm up pitchers when you bat? If you can't do this then that is just plain stupid. If you can and I can't figure it out then I am just plain stupid :lol:

When I tried to do it today, the option was not available (I saw the option, but could not choose it). I had Cormier and Worrell in the bullpen in the 8th in case of trouble. When I got out of the top of the 8th I tried to warm up Wagner for the 9th, but couldn't do it.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

2. I turned the pitch speed down to -50.

Me too. ...and you need to wait a few seconds while the pitcher gets ready to pitch, then the option is there.

Todd

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

"OK, I'll bite.

MLB is prettier, no question, but MVP plays the better game."

I could live with the graphical differences, but there are a few things that just drive me nuts about MVP that I can't understand why more people haven't bitched about - the fact that the home run trot looks like something out of a Hanna Barbara cartoon and that the cut scene for the player coming to bat is exactly the same each time - including every single guy starting off by choking up on the bat.

MLB's player models are about as good as it gets. Granted, Sheffield's stance is a little aggerated, but otherwise they're pretty close. I do wish you could see more of the stadiums, though, like in MVP. For example you can't even see Bernie the Brewer's keg in Miller Park.

"In MLB I was consistently feeling cheated by passed balls (a rampant problem even with tuning)"

Agreed - that is the primary problem with MLB. It can be reduced, but doesn't seem like it can be eliminated altogether.

"and an apparent 'catch-up logic' that gave the AI the HR just when they needed it, even if I didn't make a mistake. "

In 60-plus games, I can't say I've seen anything fishy like that. When I get burned by an HR I can pretty much tell you where I made the mistake.

"There was very little variety in the hits, and the baserunning and other controls weren't as intuitive as they should have been."

I absolutely don't get the hit variety beef. In all honesty, I see far less hit variety with MVP on the Xbox than I do with MLB on PSP. With MVP probably 50% of the outs seem to be liners to infielders. With MLB I think I have seen it all. I agree that there are too few slow rollers, but I have seen a couple. I have seen just about everything else, including guys getting robbed of a HR by a leap over the fence only to have the ball roll out of the glove on impact with the ground. I've also seen a line shot that took out the pitcher exactly once, which is as much as you shood see it.

"MVP, on the other hand, has an insane variety of hits, smooth controls, and better presentation. Sure, the players are comparitively low-poly, but you get faces and 'personality'. The pitching meter is smoother and works better, as does the batting system. "

Oh puleeze. I disagree with every single one of those assertions, based on an MVP Xbox to MLB PSP comparison. I doubt seriously that MVP improves on the PSP.

"What's missing from the universally praised Xbox version? hitter's eye? Would've been useless on a small screen and I can pick up curves etc. just fine with the PSP's default camera."

My reaction to the Xbox version has been lukewarm at best. I just can't get into the hitting model, the lack of hit variety and the goofy cartoon animations. Hitter's eye is a nice thing that could have been implemented on the PSP if they tried. It would certainly help with the strikeouts issue on MLB if we had something like that.

"Sure, there is a stutter between batters etc. but it doesn't get in the way of gameplay."

It must be said, there is some slowdown at times in MLB with lots of guys on base, but never to the point where it affects gameplay.

"All in all, the game feels like a portable port of the MVP we know and love, and isn't deserving of the bashing it's taking, even if it could've used another layer of polish."

Speak for yourself. I still have a lot of issues with the console version, but realize I'm in the minority. The things I like best about it, the depth of franchise mode, is gone from the PSP anyway. For me, and YMMV, MVP on PSP feels much more like baseball.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

MizzouRah wrote:2. I turned the pitch speed down to -50.

Me too. ...and you need to wait a few seconds while the pitcher gets ready to pitch, then the option is there.

Todd
Todd, I swear I do that and the Options for Batting/Baserunning, View Your Bullpen, and View their Bullpen are white and available but the Pitching/Defense option is grayed out!

This is both in season and quick play. Can you check again?

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Blublub wrote:I absolutely don't get the hit variety beef. In all honesty, I see far less hit variety with MVP on the Xbox than I do with MLB on PSP. With MVP probably 50% of the outs seem to be liners to infielders.
I'm probably one of the few here that has played both MLB and MVP on both platforms. I cannot possibly see how anyone that has played all the games can not see the difference in variety of balls off the bat between them, especially with MVP on Xbox. I just saw a high chopper to third in MVP PSP that you will *never* see in MLB.
Oh puleeze. I disagree with every single one of those assertions, based on an MVP Xbox to MLB PSP comparison. I doubt seriously that MVP improves on the PSP.
Well, I don't think MVP improves on the PSP but I do agree that the pitching meter works better (not even considering the 1,000s of less button presses during a season), MVP on PSP has much better presentation (not even close), and the hit variety isn't close either. In theory, I like the MLB batting system, but it isn't executed as well as it could be as there is no way people should be striking out as much as they do. IMO it is way too hard to hit balls out of the strike zone in MLB. It almost has to be a strike to make any contact. I'm not sure that MVP controls better, but I will say this: MVP gives you a LOT more control over defense, controlling your slide, and manual leadoffs. MLB has good control by default because the CPU does almost everything for you on PSP (semi automatic fielding, no leadoffs, no control of slide types).

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

I'm beginning to think that the issue is that I'm just not that happy with MVP on Xbox this year, contrary to just about everyone else in the universe. Sure I've seen choppers down the line but I've also seen far, far too many line drive outs to infielders and those little bloops that are always snagged by the infielders in the outfield. You can say I have no right to say so, but I still feel like I see more variety in MLB.

I still can't get over the batting model. I FRIGGIN HATE the fact that WHERE I swing makes absolutely no difference - it's all a matter of a digital four-way decision - either fly, grounder, pull or opposite field. I may not have played as much baseball IRL as some here but I've played enough to say that this is not refectlective of the thought process when hitting. That said, the fielding meter is a great innovation which I enjoy a lot, and for the most part I have few qualms with the pitching model, other than as someone said about MLB, for me MVP has seemed a little scripted at times when the CPU needs to catch up.

No doubt a lot has to do with me, but after about 20 games of MVP I honestly have never had one where either team has scored more than 10 runs. Better low than high, no doubt, but that neary every game seems to be 3-2 really takes a lot of the fun out of it. So far I haven't had the variety of outcomes I have had in MLB - from 1-0 pitcher's battles to all-out slugfests.

So I'll leave it at that I just don't understand the hype about MVP Xbox as baseball nirvana. For some that may be true, and if so then great, but for me I'm loving the hell out of MLB PSP even with its warts.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I'm up to my 5th freeze :evil:

So far everytime it has happened is when the CPU makes a pitching change and I get the message substitution complete. I'm going to take my copy back tomorrow for a new one, but I have a bad feeling it is bad code since I think at least a couple sites mentioned how unstable the game was in the build they previewed.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I havent bothered with MVP on PSP, but I don't see the fascination with MVP on XBox either, Blub. The guys here who like it are very vocal about it, but there are others (myself included) who much prefer MLB on either platform (PS2 or PSP). For me, it's not even close.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

GTHobbes wrote:The guys here who like it are very vocal about it
That's funny because I always think that way about the MLB fans. In fact, I've sometimes wondered if we have some 989 employees posting here...LOL. MLB has a very vocal and loyal following IMO. I swear, it seems like I've read posts from each of the 50,000 fans that bought the PS2 version. :D

At least we have a choice this year. I think next year is going to be brutal if MLB and 2K don't step it up. Even if you love MLB, you have to admit there are HUGE problems with online play and rather significant technical (freezes, bugs, rocket arms, passed balls, slow baserunners) issues offline.
Last edited by Leebo33 on Sun May 22, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm with you on the hit variety Leebo...

MVP on the Xbox is the king...MLB on the PSP isn't even close. BUT, I still think MLB is a much more polished game on the PSP...in a landslide. On the consoles, it's the other way around...MVP wins, hands down.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I still think MLB is a much more polished game on the PSP...in a landslide.
Absolutely. I think MLB looks amazing for a handheld game and is much more polished and stable. I'm not totally sold on the gameplay as a matter of personal preference, but it is put together very well. It looks sharp, plays fast, and even little things like the menu appearance and speed make it feel much more like a quality product.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Blublub wrote:I'm beginning to think that the issue is that I'm just not that happy with MVP on Xbox this year, contrary to just about everyone else in the universe. Sure I've seen choppers down the line but I've also seen far, far too many line drive outs to infielders and those little bloops that are always snagged by the infielders in the outfield. You can say I have no right to say so, but I still feel like I see more variety in MLB.

I still can't get over the batting model. I FRIGGIN HATE the fact that WHERE I swing makes absolutely no difference - it's all a matter of a digital four-way decision - either fly, grounder, pull or opposite field. I may not have played as much baseball IRL as some here but I've played enough to say that this is not refectlective of the thought process when hitting. That said, the fielding meter is a great innovation which I enjoy a lot, and for the most part I have few qualms with the pitching model, other than as someone said about MLB, for me MVP has seemed a little scripted at times when the CPU needs to catch up.

No doubt a lot has to do with me, but after about 20 games of MVP I honestly have never had one where either team has scored more than 10 runs. Better low than high, no doubt, but that neary every game seems to be 3-2 really takes a lot of the fun out of it. So far I haven't had the variety of outcomes I have had in MLB - from 1-0 pitcher's battles to all-out slugfests.

So I'll leave it at that I just don't understand the hype about MVP Xbox as baseball nirvana. For some that may be true, and if so then great, but for me I'm loving the hell out of MLB PSP even with its warts.
Blub,
I agree with you 100%. MLB captures the feel of the game of baseball better than any game I have ever played. The animations and commentary absolutely blow away the competition. Sadly, after 3 copies and 2 lost franchises of MLB, I had to give up on it and "settle" for MVP. I am just starting to settle in with MVP and finally feel like I can score some runs and am actually enjoying the game quite a bit. I still get my MLB fix on the PSP, but it's not even close to the nirvana that I got from the PS2 version. While I can tell you that I like MVP, I know that without the freezes, MLB would definitely be the game I would be playing right now.