MVP (PSP) Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Leebo33 wrote:Yes, it is a damn port of 2004. You can tell by the excess triples (can be fixed with sliders), larger strike zone, camera angles, and missing key sliders. I hope they fixed the lefty bug.

EA makes it easy to hate them sometimes. $50 for a 15 month old game with rosters from January.

You like to like them and just about when you U make your plunge, they have a nasty way of dissappointing the consumer. I always said that if you're going to charge $10 more than the average game developer, do so by making a strong statement. They have the marketing, not the substance, but to EA's credit, there are enough suckers out there to pour their hard earned cash for mediocre games or even worse in this case, a port of MVP 2004 with January rosters? Come on.....

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

It seems that MLB plays much quicker than MVP as well. Also, I really like the guess pitch feature in MLB.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Leebo33 wrote:Yes, it is a damn port of 2004. You can tell by the excess triples (can be fixed with sliders), larger strike zone, camera angles, and missing key sliders. I hope they fixed the lefty bug.

EA makes it easy to hate them sometimes. $50 for a 15 month old game with rosters from January.
I'm curious to hear some of Todd's updated impressions. I hope he doesn't like a port of last year's MVP better than this year's MLB. If this really is '04, I'll be curious to see if any of the review sites pick up on and/or mention that fact.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I wonder why EA bothered to delay the game for over a month and a half?
To update rosters? Nope. To improve gameplay? Nope. Why EA?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

This is what one reviewer said on on another site:

"The framerate is beyond unacceptable.
The graphics are PS1 quality no joke.
The crowd is COMPLETELY stiff-
the colors- dark, muddy.
Each game takes FOREVER- I don't mind long games as that is the nature of the sport- but this is REALLY tedious.
Out of the box- sliders are way off, way too easy to hit homeruns- just hold up and left.
I was sooo looking forward to this and although I knew they'd have to cut back from the console version- I had no idea it would be this drastic.
Mediocre."

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Hmm, definitely not what I wanted to hear. That really explains the lack of the hitter's eye feature though if it is based on the 04 game.

Hopefully my Gamerang copy gets here tomorrow so I can try it out. I'm just not feeling MLB, but it sounds like it could be the best choice.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

GTHobbes wrote:I hope he doesn't like a port of last year's MVP better than this year's MLB.
Don't get me wrong...I am really pissed at EA for porting MVP 2004. However, if they fixed the lefty bug (so far 2 of my 3 HRs are with lefties) then I think the gameplay is pretty close for my tastes.

Pitching: Draw. I really don't walk many batters with either meter system.

Hitting: Mechanics: MLB Variety: MVP

Fielding: MVP but not by a landslide if they ported MVP 2005

Controls: MVP - ability to change defense and control leadoffs and slides, plus one button pitching saves thousands of button pushes.

Strike Zone/Human Walks: Pretty much the same in both games

I think it still boils down to if you are a MLB fan or MVP. The MLB diehards should stick with MLB. MVP fans would probably still like MVP 2004 (sans lefty bug) over MLB 2006. I'm really in-between. I love MVP 2005, thought MVP 2004 was good, thought MLB 2005 was average, and think MLB 2006 is good.

I will give 989 a lot of credit though for porting MLB 2006 successfully and getting the gameplay and graphics close to the PS2 version. I'd be bummed if I just judged the potential of the PSP by EA's sub-par performance. Tiger Woods is a port of Tiger Woods 2004 (should have been a red flag right there), FIFA seems like 2005 but has framerate and menu issues, and now MVP.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Dave wrote:Hmm, definitely not what I wanted to hear. That really explains the lack of the hitter's eye feature though if it is based on the 04 game.
Yeah. There is no doubt it is 2004. You don't have the hitter's eye, hitter's eye camera, there are missing key sliders (pitch meter difficulty, pitching control, ball rate), the strike zone is too big and too high, borderline pitches are always called strikes (and no variable umpire option or "blown calls"), pitchers throw too many strikes, pitchers cover first but you can't throw until they get there, there are less options from the quick menu, there are limited "sim" options, etc.
Last edited by Leebo33 on Fri May 20, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

The strike zone thing is what worries me most--the high and low corner calls in MLB make its zone way too big and it sounds like MVP will have the same issue.

Still look forward to playing it, but not as eagerly.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Leebo33 wrote:
Dave wrote:Hmm, definitely not what I wanted to hear. That really explains the lack of the hitter's eye feature though if it is based on the 04 game.
Yeah. There is no doubt it is 2004. You don't have the hitter's eye, hitter's eye camera, there are missing key sliders (pitch meter difficulty, pitching control, ball rate), the strike zone is too big and too high, borderline pitches are always called strikes (and no variable umpire option or "blown calls"), pitchers through too many strikes, pitchers cover first but you can't throw until they get there, there are less options from the quick menu, there are limited "sim" options, etc.
Thanx Leeb!

U just saved me $50!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

It sucks that this will be the only MVP we will see on the PSP. Maybe EA can make it for another year by claiming this is the 04 game :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Thanks to everyone for their honest and unbiased reviews. I never tore the wrapping off the game, so I'm definitely going to be returning it. I've decided to pick up GTA-San Andreas for the Xbox when it comes out in a couple weeks instead.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I am super busy today but I can chime in with some very breif impressions...

-Dated rosters are TOTALLY UNNACEPTABLE!

-Grpahics are not bad but not as sharp as MLB

-Framerate issues will only bother the most sensitive IMO, they are not bad and do not have any bearing ont he gameplay from what I can tell.

-Game moves slower than MLB.

-Like Leebo has been saying, the game really does seem much more like 2004 than a port of 2005.

Bottom line is that I am not nrealy as impressed as I hoped I'd be, but it is not a bad game. It plays well and fans of MVP for the last few years will like it. I just don't think it is a good overall as MLB right off the bat. Too bad too> I like the options and configurations so much more in MVP (small things like being able to choose a stadium even in season mode, I get bored of playing at Wrigley every other game).

Oh well...I will probably be returing this soon, but I 'll give it a few more games.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

This is what one reviewer said on on another site:

"The framerate is beyond unacceptable.
The graphics are PS1 quality no joke.
The crowd is COMPLETELY stiff-
the colors- dark, muddy.
Each game takes FOREVER- I don't mind long games as that is the nature of the sport- but this is REALLY tedious.
Out of the box- sliders are way off, way too easy to hit homeruns- just hold up and left.
I was sooo looking forward to this and although I knew they'd have to cut back from the console version- I had no idea it would be this drastic.
Mediocre."
This guy is a reviewer?

Framerate is not bad, some parts slow down, but is has NOT impacted gameplay. The graphics are MVP 2004 - I agree it's a port from 2004, but I think the game looks fine in the graphics department albeit a tad dark sometimes. Who gives two shits about the crowd? The pace is MVP style and it's still shorter than MLB on the ps2. I find Pro out of the box quite good so far.

Yeah, a 2004 port sucks, but I like the hitting and pitching better than MLB. I want baseball and I still like MVP over MLB.. although I can't believe they are charging $50 friggin bucks for a 2004 port.

Don't get it unless you're an MVP fan and don't care for MLB.

Todd

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Based on the EB store in my area, the most (used games )up for re-sale are the EA titles including Tiger and surprisingly already Fifa. Mvp to follow?

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

10spro wrote:Based on the EB store in my area, the most (used games )up for re-sale are the EA titles including Tiger and surprisingly already Fifa. Mvp to follow?
Yeah, EA really bombed bigtime on the PSP. With Tiger's horrible load times, Fifa's framerate issues, and Need For Speed Underground Rivals just being plain bad, you'd think EA would want to impress with possibly its last baseball title for awhile...but then again, that could be the reason they just mailed it in when it came to MVP.

The only EA game that seems to be worth the 50 clams seems to be NFL Street 2. I find it amazing that with the mountain of resources that EA has at its disposal that they would come up short in any aspect of recreating a sports game. I think it's just plain sad that they ported MVP 2004 over and thought they were going to fool anyone. I am so glad I went with my gut instinct on this one and saved my money.

Cincinnati_Kid
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Cincinnati_Kid »

so im guessing madden will be a stripped down version of game as well ported over and no proof so far it will be a smooth experience what so ever

kinda sounds like mlb would be the only thing i would ever touch here hmm happy i held off on grabbing a psp
http://thecincinnatikid.blogspot.com

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

No the PSP is great Cincy, don't let the shoddy EA games put you off on the system.

MLB 2006 - definitely the best baseball game on the system. At least Sony ported over their current game.

Hot Shots Golf - great little golf game and every bit as fun if not moreso than Tiger. Not as many courses as Tiger, but hey you can get a round in while Tiger's still loading.

Ridge Racer and Wipeout Pure absolutely are the class racers for this system. Need For Speed Underground gets left in the dust behind these two.

So while all the EA games have pretty much been disappointments, there are still a number of kick ass sports related games on the PSP that don't have EA on the label.

Again, don't let the shodiness of the EA games turn you off on a PSP, it's a fantastic little machine.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Check this online review of MVP.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemranking ... wid=577260

Pretty much what everyone thinks, just a mediocre game. :?

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

What Badgun said. I'm really excited about the potential for the PSP, actually I see it becoming my primary platform and my enthusiasm for the next gen consoles has been muted due to this alone.

Thanks to everyone for the honest impressions of MVP. I was about to pull the trigger at about 60 clams to get it to me here but am glad I waited. I still love MLB and have set out on playing every game of a whole season - that should keep me busy until next year's titles come out with franchise mode. Really the only thing MVP seems to offer that MLB doesn't was the player photos, and I find it hard to believe that gameplay can touch MLB. I still prefer the gameplay of MLB PSP to MVP Xbox by a mile, but that's just me.

As Badgun said, Ridge Racer is a ton o' fun. So far it, MLB and surprisingly Tiger Woods have had the most legs for me of the titles I picked up.

Edit: One thing I wondered, though, can anyone verify whether MVP allows for a fantasy draft? In fairness, that might keep it fresh a little longer than normal.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I was disappointed in the load times with Tiger, but I thought the gameplay was good.

I'm enjoying FIFA despite the hiccups.

However, I'm not really getting any enjoyment out of MVP PSP and it will be sold within the week. The controls and framerate are just too sluggish and the gameplay is subpar as well. I really didn't mind that EA was charging $50 as much as some because I thought I was going to get a port of MVP 2005. This port of 2004 actually makes me feel cheated. I've rarely felt absolutely cheated by a videogame purchase, but EA has managed to do it. There have been games that I haven't enjoyed, but I feel EA pulled a bait and switch and that is worse IMO. Not only does the game suck, but the f*cking thing has frozen twice on me.

I thought Sony wasn't allowing strictly ports of PS2 games? What bullsh*t. EA is not only porting PS2 games, but they are porting 15 month old games (Tiger Woods is a port of an older game too).

Kudos to 989 for MLB PSP. I may not like everything about the game, but they did an impressive job compared to their pathetic competition.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Thank goodness there's Blockbuster (and hopefully other chains to follow) where hopefully more gamers will try the games 1st like the poor ports by EA instead of forking $50 .

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Leebo33 wrote:I was disappointed in the load times with Tiger, but I thought the gameplay was good.

I'm enjoying FIFA despite the hiccups.

However, I'm not really getting any enjoyment out of MVP PSP and it will be sold within the week. The controls and framerate are just too sluggish and the gameplay is subpar as well. I really didn't mind that EA was charging $50 as much as some because I thought I was going to get a port of MVP 2005. This port of 2004 actually makes me feel cheated. I've rarely felt absolutely cheated by a videogame purchase, but EA has managed to do it. There have been games that I haven't enjoyed, but I feel EA pulled a bait and switch and that is worse IMO. Not only does the game suck, but the f*cking thing has frozen twice on me.

I thought Sony wasn't allowing strictly ports of PS2 games? What bullsh*t. EA is not only porting PS2 games, but they are porting 15 month old games (Tiger Woods is a port of an older game too).

Kudos to 989 for MLB PSP. I may not like everything about the game, but they did an impressive job compared to their pathetic competition.
If you noticed, EA dropped the year after both games title for the PSP. I'm guessing so they could answer any charges of bait and switch by saying "we never said it was the newest version".

Hence Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 became Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf and MVP Baseball 2004 became just MVP Baseball. If anyone ever called them on it, they can simply say "Do you see a 2005 in the title anywhere?"

Pretty fu*king lame. What's worse is they even used the box art of MVP 2005 despite the fact that it was MVP 2004.

Last edited by Badgun on Sat May 21, 2005 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Definitely disappointing MVP didn't live up to the hype after an impressive showing on the Xbox and PS2.

However, Virtua Tennis is due out in July and that'll only strengthen my PSP library. The future looks bright for this handheld.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

sportdan30 wrote:Definitely disappointing MVP didn't live up to the hype after an impressive showing on the Xbox and PS2.

However, Virtua Tennis is due out in July and that'll only strengthen my PSP library. The future looks bright for this handheld.
Really nothing coming out on the PSP that I want until Death Jr. comes out in August. That's ok though, I absolutely love the games that I do have.