Anyone pick up Hot Shots for the PSP yet?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Spooky wrote:Well, I am officially back to being a fan of the 3-click swing system.
One thing I've always liked about the click system for console games is the room for error. It really makes course management important and brings back the risk/reward aspect.

Is Hot Shots challenging off the tee? Does the meter move fast enough to challenge you?

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I've long preferred the 3 click system over the analog swing for consoles, and long preferred Hot Shots over Tiger. The Hot Shots series is one of my favorite sports series of all time. Are the courses different than HSG Fore! for the ps2?

Now Tiger's Swing on the PC is another matter. Good stuff, there.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Spooky wrote:Well, I am officially back to being a fan of the 3-click swing system. It's funny...after playing years of the analog swing system games, I thought that the 3-click was so out of date. But now, after going back, I feel that it is a better interface. Perhaps it is just because it is something different and new feeling again, but I am more immersed than with the analog swing in Tiger.
I've never liked swinging with an analog stick on a control pad. There just is not the same room for error simply due to the design of the current control pads. Most of the time with an analog stick its either a perfect hit or wildly off line. The variability with the swing is just not there. With the 3-click system there is a much wider range of shot results.

Nothing beats Tiger PC and Trueswing, but a 3-click system is the way to go for me on a console.

OmflShark
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by OmflShark »

I am in 7th heaven! I now own an excellent baseball, golf, and nba game for my PSP. I don't know about you guys, but I could not be more pleased with my PSP purchase. Unlike the DS, I have a hard time deciding what game to play on my system. Kudos to Sony for coming out with a portable system that takes the adult gamer seriously.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I'm a huge fan of MLB (35 games into my season already), but Hot Shots is by far my favorite game on the system. It is the total package, and easily the best handheld game I have ever played. My copy of TW will be listed on half.com by the end of the weekend. 8)

BTW, I'm enjoying my PSP more and more every day. It really has replaced console gaming for me so far.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The funny thing is that the game gets you so involved, you don't have to be a golf fan to enjoy it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

OmflShark wrote:I am in 7th heaven! I now own an excellent baseball, golf, and nba game for my PSP.
Holy crap...you consider the NBA game excellent? Eesh..you've got some low standards. That game is GARBAGE.

Now, if you're talking about NBA Street, then I may agree, it is pretty good, but the NBA game, yuck.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

HipE wrote:BTW, I'm enjoying my PSP more and more every day. It really has replaced console gaming for me so far.
I bought Forza last night and it felt very strange playing the Xbox. Since I purchased the PSP I have played about 4 hours on the Xbox. I'm not going to sell my Xbox, but if someone stole it I probably wouldn't even notice. Now that MLB PS2 has been replaced by the PSP version and GT4 replaced by Forza, I can safely sell my PS2. I only have 2 left games for it anyway and one is 2 years old (NCAA 2004).

I was worried about becoming a gaming-aholic when I purchased a PSP, but it has really been the opposite. Gaming has become much less important in my life because I can casually play at times when it is convenient for me and my family rather than be locked into only gaming after my wife goes to bed (10-10:30 PM) and being a zombie at work and home. I used to be a "binge gamer" and it wouldn't be uncommon for me to stay up until 2 or 3 AM on a weekend night just to get gaming time in. Now I can play a little here and there or get a lot of gaming time in when I travel and then stay on a normal schedule when I get back home.

I have enjoyed all of the consoles I've ever owned, but the PSP was the best gaming purchase I have ever made and it will only get better as more games come out and improvements are made to the next round of games.

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

Leebo33 wrote:I was worried about becoming a gaming-aholic when I purchased a PSP, but it has really been the opposite. Gaming has become much less important in my life because I can casually play at times when it is convenient for me and my family rather than be locked into only gaming after my wife goes to bed (10-10:30 PM) and being a zombie at work and home. I used to be a "binge gamer" and it wouldn't be uncommon for me to stay up until 2 or 3 AM on a weekend night just to get gaming time in. Now I can play a little here and there or get a lot of gaming time in when I travel and then stay on a normal schedule when I get back home.

I have enjoyed all of the consoles I've ever owned, but the PSP was the best gaming purchase I have ever made and it will only get better as more games come out and improvements are made to the next round of games.
I agree with everything you said. I haven't turned on my Ps2 in forever although I still game on my Xbox. Now if there had been a portable Xbox...
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

OmflShark
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by OmflShark »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
OmflShark wrote:I am in 7th heaven! I now own an excellent baseball, golf, and nba game for my PSP.
Holy crap...you consider the NBA game excellent? Eesh..you've got some low standards. That game is GARBAGE.

Now, if you're talking about NBA Street, then I may agree, it is pretty good, but the NBA game, yuck.
Yes I was talking about NBA Street. The other NBA game is horrible.

Herbsinator
Mario Mendoza

Post by Herbsinator »

Leebo33 wrote:
I was worried about becoming a gaming-aholic when I purchased a PSP, but it has really been the opposite. Gaming has become much less important in my life because I can casually play at times when it is convenient for me and my family rather than be locked into only gaming after my wife goes to bed (10-10:30 PM) and being a zombie at work and home. I used to be a "binge gamer" and it wouldn't be uncommon for me to stay up until 2 or 3 AM on a weekend night just to get gaming time in. Now I can play a little here and there or get a lot of gaming time in when I travel and then stay on a normal schedule when I get back home.

I think the PSP will be a perfect fit for me when I go off to college next year. I don't think I will have a lot of two to three hour blocks of gaming time, but I should be able to find 15 minutes here and there for gaming. I have one question, does the PSP have wireless internet? Because my parents are thinking about buying me some sort of handheld device (like a Palm Pilot, or whatever..) that I can check the weather, scores, etc. on. Does the PSP have this capability, because if it does, then I might just ask for one of those.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Herbsinator wrote:I have one question, does the PSP have wireless internet? Because my parents are thinking about buying me some sort of handheld device (like a Palm Pilot, or whatever..) that I can check the weather, scores, etc. on. Does the PSP have this capability, because if it does, then I might just ask for one of those.
No it doesn't. It may in the future with software upgrades/hacks but don't count on it.

Herbsinator
Mario Mendoza

Post by Herbsinator »

ah, thats too bad...I might just have to let my parents get me some sort of handheld device and I will just save up for a PSP on my own.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Any updated impressions? Are you bored with the one or two courses you have unlocked yet? Do you think you will get bored with only 6 courses in total?

This game would be a no-brainer for me with "pass and play" multiplayer, but I'm not sold on the game yet.

If Tiger Woods had the same load times as Hot Shots, which game would you be playing?

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Herbsinator wrote:I have one question, does the PSP have wireless internet? Because my parents are thinking about buying me some sort of handheld device (like a Palm Pilot, or whatever..) that I can check the weather, scores, etc. on. Does the PSP have this capability, because if it does, then I might just ask for one of those.
No it doesn't. It may in the future with software upgrades/hacks but don't count on it.
You can get online using some sort of browser that is built in to the Wipeout:Pure game. A guy here at work uses it and reads his favourite sites using wireless net at a bar he hangs at.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Leebo33 wrote:If Tiger Woods had the same load times as Hot Shots, which game would you be playing?
If Tiger had the same load times and quick play, Tiger would win. Hot Shots however, is just so much more polished that I had to give the nod to it. I "Kept It" through gamefly and sold Tiger yesterday on ebay. Tiger is just way too slow when you can see what Hot Shots can do with load times.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Leebo33 wrote:Any updated impressions? Are you bored with the one or two courses you have unlocked yet? Do you think you will get bored with only 6 courses in total?

This game would be a no-brainer for me with "pass and play" multiplayer, but I'm not sold on the game yet.

If Tiger Woods had the same load times as Hot Shots, which game would you be playing?
I haven't even unlocked any new courses yet, but am nowhere close to being bored with the game. I'm not that great at golf games to begin with so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but Hot Shots has been perfect for me. I can get a quick 9 holes in almost anywhere I go, it's fun as hell, and I have just enough success to keep me coming back for more. I knocked in a pin-shot eagle from 160+ yards out yesterday and must've replayed it 10 times before moving onto the next hole.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Leebo33 wrote:If Tiger Woods had the same load times as Hot Shots, which game would you be playing?
If Tiger had the same load times and quick play, Tiger would win. Hot Shots however, is just so much more polished that I had to give the nod to it. I "Kept It" through gamefly and sold Tiger yesterday on ebay. Tiger is just way too slow when you can see what Hot Shots can do with load times.
What did you get for Tiger on Ebay? I'm still trying to dump mine and I don't know if I should take what Gamestop's offering or try and milk what I can out of it on Ebay or Half.com

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:If Tiger had the same load times and quick play, Tiger would win. Hot Shots however, is just so much more polished that I had to give the nod to it.
That's too bad. I timed the load times in Tiger Woods last night just for the hell of it to see how much time is wasted and they ranged from 20 to 36 seconds between holes. So on average there are 8-10 minutes of wasted time during every round. Times that by dozens/hundreds of rounds and that is a lot of sitting around. Cut that down to 5-10 second waits between holes and it would be worth it to me for the real courses/realtime swing. Hopefully, they will fix it next year.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Badgun...got 34 shipped. Just did a buy it now for 34 w/ free shipping and it sold in one night.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Leebo33 wrote:Cut that down to 5-10 second waits between holes and it would be worth it to me for the real courses/realtime swing. Hopefully, they will fix it next year.
Yeah, I hear ya. The good thing about Hot Shots is that there is like 1-2 seconds between holes. You can seriously finish a round in less than 20 min...which is perfect for the handheld. If I want to play a real round of golf, I will just play the PC version (which is superior anyway).

Talamius
Mario Mendoza

Post by Talamius »

I got the Japanese version of this back when I imported my PSP in February. I love it even if putting is a bit easy, it's better than Tiger IMO.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Leebo33 wrote:Any updated impressions? Are you bored with the one or two courses you have unlocked yet? Do you think you will get bored with only 6 courses in total?

I'm only on the 2nd course but if the design of the 4 remaining courses is as brilliant as the 2nd I have no problem at all with 6 courses. I've had to use more shot making skill on the 2nd course in Hot Shots than I ever had to make with all of the courses on Tiger PSP combined.

There are just so many great features in the game that I'm always finding little things that impress me. It's a really polished and well designed game.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I picked it up last night. It's pretty much exactly what I expected, which is both good and bad. It's a fun little game that looks fantastic. However, since I've played Hot Shots 1,2,3 and Mario Golf for the N64, it is quite possible that I've just played the series too much as I'm underwhelmed. I think Gamespot's 7.8 rating is pretty much spot-on based on my initial impressions. It would be really hard to score it much higher than that considering that there are 6 courses and no online or pass and play multiplayer.

Does the game get substantially harder once you progress? I'm assuming that it starts out easy with the characters hitting the ball straight, little wind, easy course, etc. I had 2 eagles last night and never failed to break par for a round. I think I may have had one double bogey and a handful of bogeys. I almost had a couple aces.

Does the meter get any faster? I'm not the best gamer in the world, but I pretty much nailed the sweet spot within 1 width of the cursor most of the time. Power was a little more tricky. The putting meter is very slow. It really doesn't offer any challenge as to missing your power. Again, I'm hoping that this changes with different characters.

Maybe I'm just jaded because I've played this series to death, but I think Tiger Woods is much better. I can totally see why people are dumping or avoiding Tiger Woods due to the load times though.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Leebo33 wrote: Does the game get substantially harder once you progress?
Yes. I played on a friends PSP a few days ago. He as 5 courses unlocked. I played either the 4th or 5th course (not sure) from the back tees and was destroyed in a CPU match play game.

I always use the "big air" balls and clubs which reduce impact and more importantly control so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but I was in the rough more times than not and the CPU was a birdie machine.

Unless you are just bored with the series, stick with it as it will get tougher. I skipped Hot Shots Fore and just hated Tiger PSP, so I enjoyed Hot Shots PSP from the beginning. If you are just bored with the Hot Shots franchise though it might be tough since it takes a while to progress through the game. Downloading a PSP save game might be the best way to answer your questions and to see if its worth your video gaming time.....

http://www.psp-vault.com/modules.php?na ... oad&sid=70